School for scandal

Candidate No. 3 was kind of a spectacular bust, for reasons I won’t go into here, but the upshot is that we are still looking.  There’s been more discussion of candidate No.2, but surely there’s someone out there who’s a better fit for us?

Having a disaster candidate turned out to be an emotional strain.  By the end of his teaching demo, both Dr. Tea and I knew he wasn’t going to be a good match, but we had to meet with him (separately because of our schedules), sit through lunch with the department, and so on.  I was pretty much useless on Saturday, and she emailed me that she was feeling the same.  Fortunately, today I feel pretty much recovered, and despite the time change, I was able to get up close to the usual weekday time and get some work done.  I think I’ll be able to do a satisfactory amount of grading, prep Monday’s classes (one of my harder SA  days falls on my NLNRU teaching day yet again), exercise and do the inevitable bits of Lifestuff (laundry, etc.) before going to dinner at my mom’s (thank you, Mom) and getting to bed at a decent hour–as long as I keep focused.  I think I might have to give up on finishing the week’s writing goals, though.

Ph.D. Guy is coming to school on Monday to sit in on my classes and have lunch with Gamma and me (and maybe another colleague or two).  Maybe I’ll come up with a better pseudonym for him!

Advertisements

2 responses to this post.

  1. Several years ago we had a disastrous candidate at FGS (he seemed perfectly pleasant at lunch, but apparently his teaching demo was awful), and the department head and academic dean and all still had to meet with him, but they invented a “crisis” for the head of school so that she didn’t waste her time with him. Yikes. I hope that you find a lovely candidate later this spring; maybe because that’s when I was hired, I hold out great hope for the post-spring-break hiring season!

    Reply

    • Posted by meansomething on March 11, 2013 at 4:29 am

      Over email during the day we agreed that the head of school would meet with him, but push him out fairly quickly. Yes, I hope we will find a lovely candidate later on–but we still have a couple of weeks before spring break, so I’m wondering if we might be able to seal the deal with someone before then.

      Another possibility–since this is a slight overstaffing, I wonder what would happen if we didn’t overstaff. Is it doable? Not sure–it might be time to go over those numbers again.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: