Cheerful money

After last night’s post, some cheering up was definitely in order, and I enjoyed breakfast with Stubb and the Snork Maiden this morning, followed by a little retail therapy:  a shirt for the Snork Maiden, and for me an expensive bottle of hair gunk and the earrings you see here.
They’re from Betsey Johnson, as are one of my other favorite pairs, which are enameled doves with some sort of purple bauble, quite gaudy and a lot of fun, and I expect these parrots to brighten up my various solid-color-shirt-and-black-pants-or-skirt ensembles in much the same way.  By the way, I have shirts that match the teal, the green, and the blue in these parrots, so I had no hope of resisting these.

After the earrings, I almost didn’t buy the $20 bottle of hair gunk, but I thought of my grandmother, who always enjoyed taking me out shopping to spoil me a little, and who would absolutely have urged me to buy the earrings (though she probably would have tried to direct me toward something more “classic”) and the hair gunk as well, and I almost started to cry in the store, actually, but I managed to buy the hair gunk and get out of there.

The earrings also go some way toward offsetting the Sunday-night blues, because I’m looking forward to wearing them on Monday, which will be one of those loooong days: my heaviest SA teaching day (though even that is actually lighter than last year’s heavy day, because it’s one double block and two singles), then I won’t leave early because of an important meeting, so I’ll be leaving at 4:30 and traffic is going to be awful and I won’t have any downtime before my NLNRU class. 

Fortunately for me, however, the NLNRU class (which I am team-teaching again, this time with a different team from last spring) should not require a lot of song and dance from me, as this meeting features a virtual visiting writer.  The “visit” is via Skype or Gchat or something; I’ve deliberately distanced myself from the details in an attempt not to be the Most Responsible Person in the Room. 

I actually discouraged our doing this virtual visit because I didn’t want to sink hours of our lives into making it work technically, but my co-instructors wanted to do it, so I said, as politely as possible, that I would absolutely teach this person’s work and have my students prepare for the visit, but that I didn’t anticipate being able to come down early to do test runs, etc.  And then the meeting got scheduled, so it turned out I was right about that.

Just based on years of experience with Organizing Stuff, I’m guessing there’s a 40% chance the whole thing will run perfectly, a 40% chance that the first 20-30 minutes of class will be eaten up by technical difficulties and then everything will go fine, and a 20% chance of the thing not being made to work at all. 

I have written a kick-ass assignment for next week, though, and if I’m suddenly faced with a big chunk of unexpected class time to use, I can easily cannibalize the assignment for an in-class brainstorming and writing exercise and a discussion. 

And I will be wearing my mesmerizing parrot earrings, to boot.

Advertisements

6 responses to this post.

  1. Parrots! I love the earrings.

    I have the most delightful parrot print up in my office. It makes me smile every time I look at it!

    Reply

  2. Cute earrings — I hope they gave your mood a good boost!

    Reply

  3. Posted by meansomething on September 15, 2010 at 5:04 am

    Thanks B and WN! They did give me a boost, and a sorely needed one, at that!

    Reply

  4. I have a stuffed parrot on my bookshelf in my classroom :).

    Reply

  5. Posted by meansomething on September 16, 2010 at 3:02 am

    I’m sensing a theme here!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: