This blog post is an attempt to get myself to wake up and do the rest of the stuff, or at least the stuff that I can’t put off until tomorrow afternoon, salted with some other stuff that could hypothetically be put off, but I think I’ll feel better if I knock a few more items off the list. The carrot is Downton Abbey, which I will allow myself to stay up ’til 11 to watch (assuming I can), and the stick is the mess I will be in if I don’t get some of this stuff done.
I’m going to start, however, with a 12-minute writing session–because, honestly, I do have the time, and because it always calms me down. And what else?
Write for 12 minutes. Spend 15 minutes working on Fussy Professional Task that I don’t quite know how to do and have therefore been putting off. Knock out four emails. Prep some handouts for my three AP classes so that I can swoop in first thing in the morning and copy them; decide how to allot time in those classes. Email Stubb about the info I need him to unearth for the financial aid application. Finish the laundry and dishes.
See, it is really not as bad as it feels. It’s just Sunday night, and I often get wigged out on Sunday night.
And here’s some of the other stuff I have gotten done:
- Worked up a submission plan for the book ms., and prepped the envelope to mail off to a contest tomorrow.
- Put together an absolutely kickass literary journal submission, complete with graceful and dignified cover letter, and printed it up to mail tomorrow. And hey, did I mention that I had a poem accepted right before winter break, from the place that sent me a Good Rejection over the summer? I don’t think I did! I am very stoked.
- Set up some Miz P. babysitting for my NLNRU class and so that I can attend a writers’ group; talked with my mom about having the Snork Maiden if I go to AWP.
- Necessary conversation with NLNRU chair; now I probably don’t have to go there this week.
- Ordered flowers for my aunt’s 67th birthday.
- Wrote four or five professional emails that needed to get written.
- Snork Maiden stuff: took her to SA to get books from her locker; ferried her to the movies; cooked a simple but yummy dinner for both of us (why have I never baked sweet potatoes before?); served as a sounding board for a middle-school issue.
- Worked out.
Okay, it worked: I do feel calmer and more awake. Here I go!